New University on Sanderring
The New University on Sanderring was inaugurated on 28 October 1896. It was built to mitigate the shortage of space in the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) at the time. The central building's roof features a group of figures created by the Munich sculptor Hubert Netzer. It shows Prometheus swinging the torches of intellectual progress against the dark forces of ignorance and barbarism for truth and justice.
A bronze plaque with the inscription "Veritati" is a reminder that the building was devoted to the truth. The inscription was the personal motto of the Würzburg theologian Herman Schell who was the rector of the university at the time.
Please note that using the photos is only allowed for coverage about the University of Würzburg. Also, you have to cite the source as "photo: University of Würzburg" or quote the photographer's name where available.
Click the images to show a magnified view. Right-click the picture and select:
- "Save Image As" (Mozilla Firefox)
- "Save Target As" (Internet Explorer)
Then select the corresponding folder in which to save the photo.